Moving Pains: Managing Expectations and Our Own Remodeling TimelineApril 6, 2016
Looking on the Bright SideApril 20, 2016
When it’s time to choose kitchen flooring, it pays to do your research. There are several important factors to consider regarding which material to choose, including:
- Durability: In addition to cooking and eating time, how much foot traffic does the kitchen see? Will there be extra impact from kids and pets? Don’t forget you’ll be cooking which means dropped pots, pans, and knives.
- Safety: Cooking means spills, so think about what happens when a pitcher tips over, the dog tracks in mud, or red wine splashes across the floor.
- Comfort: We tend to spend a great deal of time standing and walking in our kitchens; think about how your feet, legs, and back will feel after long periods standing on your new floor.
- Porcelain or Ceramic tile: Durable, with tons of color and style options which means you can easily create a custom look. Ask your flooring vendor about glazing and non-slip finishes. We are using porcelain tile in our new bathroom, and our company kitchen.
- Wood: The warm, classic look of wood floors is always in style. Another great choice in the same vein is bamboo, which is tough as well as environmentally friendly.
- Polished concrete: A modern, contemporary choice; we’re using it in our new showroom, although we are considering wood for the new conference room. Don’t be afraid to mix flooring on the same level; work with a designer to ensure the transitions make sense.
Besides lifestyle and material considerations, here are two more suggestions to help you choose the right kitchen floor for your home:
- Budget: Don’t just look at the price of flooring—make sure you factor in installation, removal/disposal, delivery, and other costs.
- Style: Your personal sense of style will dictate the colors and patterns you choose, and even the grain in the hardwood. Ask yourself whether you’re going to love that same floor five or ten years down the road.
Are you ready to renovate your kitchen but you don’t know where to start? The Cabinets & Designs team can help! Don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Houzz for daily design inspiration, and to follow along as we move into and renovate our new showroom at The Shoppes at Memorial Villages.