The next best thing to a total kitchen makeover is a reorganization of your kitchen; reorganization makes your kitchen feel new, but can be done on a smaller budget. Making small changes can yield big results, so let’s take a look at some of our favorite ways to get more out of what you already have in your kitchen.
• A Lazy Susan can turn awkward cabinet corners into accessible storage, and come in especially handy in the refrigerator, a place where we are always rummaging for the odd bottle or jar. These also work well on kitchen counters or dining room tables, where seasonings, spices, and condiments need to be in easy reach.
• A few hooks on a wall can make a huge difference when it comes to storing aprons, potholders, and dishtowels. Dishtowels dry faster, and aprons and potholders remain within easy reach but without getting in the way.
• Unclutter but storing pieces you rarely use up high, and everyday pieces within easy reach.
• Keep a lid on lids! Buy racks to store lids to your pots and pans, and organize lids to storage containers in one large container, or by using drawer dividers and organizing them by size.
• Installing organization racks—stationary, or the sliding kind—make your cabinets work for you. These are also great in terms of making your home easier to access for different generations, or as you age (gracefully) in place.
• Add under-cabinet lighting to illuminate your cooking life! Even the tightest spaces between hanging cabinets and countertops can be used, for a towel rack, or appliance storage.
• Display your best pieces in glass-fronted cabinets, and use organizational baskets in bins to store items on open shelving.
• If you can, hang it up—this goes for knives, pots and pans, and even pantry items. Hanging pots and pans over the stove is decorative and makes room in cabinets, while installing magnetic knife holders frees you from your knife block, giving you more counter space. Buying a clear pocket organizer to hang on your pantry door makes items easy to see, and in quick reach.
At Cabinets & Designs, we want to make your kitchen work for you and in the process, more beautiful. Thinking about renovating your kitchen? Stop in and speak with one of our designers today!